I don’t know why, but lemon desserts always leave my sweet tooth feeling satisfied without making me feel like I’ve been overloaded with sugar. Their tangy flavor is what inspired my grandma to call any lemon-flavored treat a “dessert for adults,” which is probably why my 8-year-old self felt so grown up every time I devoured her lemon cookies! Whether you’re young or old, this lemon pie will leave you salivating and craving even more. Paired with this homemade fruity sangria, a lawn chair, and the hot summer sun, it’s the perfect treat for this time of the year!
Here’s what you’ll need:
For the crust:
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 2/3 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 12 Tbsp butter, slightly cooler than room temperature
For the filling:
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/3 cups brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 2 Tbsp grated lemon zest
- 3/4 cup lemon juice from 4 lemons
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1/8 tsp salt
Here’s what you’ll do:
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F. Butter a 13″ x 9″ baking dish and sprinkle with flour.
- Mix the flour, powdered sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a blender. Once it’s mixed together, cut the butter into 1″ pieces and add it to the mixture. Process the mixture until it’s a pale yellow and has a coarse texture.
- Put the mixture into the baking dish and press it to the bottom and sides.
- Refrigerate the crust for about 30 minutes, then bake for 20 minutes.
- While you’re waiting for the crust, mix the eggs, brown sugar, and flour in a medium-sized bowl. Then, stir in the lemon zest, lemon juice, milk, and salt.
- Once the crust is done baking, reduce the oven’s temperature to 325 °F.
- Stir up the filling mixture, then pour it into the crust. Bake the pie until the filling feels firm (about 20 minutes).
- Move the baking pan to a wire rack and let it cool for about 30 minutes. Sprinkle some confectioner’s sugar on top , cut, and devour.
This fluffy treat is both simple and tasty. The only problem is that it will be gobbled up in no time at all! You might want to make two of these, because whether you live alone or with a big family, they’re going to disappear fast!
Does this lemon cake have you drooling? SHARE this recipe with your friends so they can enjoy it, too!